Tuesday, 17 April 2012

Toopy and Binoo Cake


As I have mentioned in some previous blogs, my son wanted a Toopy and Binoo cake for his third birthday cake.  If you are not familiar with Toopy and Binoo, they are a Canadian TV show that are based on preschooler books written by Dominique Jolin (who is from Quebec).  They are huge in our house, but because they are Canadian, it has been a bit of a struggle to find any merchandise.  Thankfully in the last 6 months, I have seen some product appear online and just recently at Toy's R Us.  Nothing for cakes or birthday favours yet, or that I could find.

I did a lot of online searching for cake ideas, and decided to make a cake covered in fondant (marshmallow) and I enlarged and traced the characters below.




I did several tracings of the image so I could cut out key parts (for example Binoo, or Toopy's head).  I lay those cut out parts on to the rolled out fondant and used a knife to cut the outline.  A bit time consuming, but nothing compared to all the kneading I had to do, to dye the marshmallow fondant.  My arms were sore after all that.  To finish the cake off, I did a border with the left over mini marshmallows.  Toopy and Binoo love marshmallows as does my son.

I was extremely happy with the result, as was my son and his little friends.  Can't wait to to see what cake ideas he comes up with next year.



















































































































No comments:

Post a Comment